Emergency Medical Services
Emergency Medical Services (EMS) at Pagosa Springs Medical Center (PSMC) provides emergency medical care to Pagosa Springs and the surrounding communities, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Designated as a Level IV Trauma Center, PSMC is a leader in rural EMS and serves as the sole 911 provider in the Upper San Juan Health Service District—the body that oversees and stewards PSMC. Encompassing Wolf Creek Ski Area, William’s Reservoir, and portions of the Continental Divide Trail, the district boasts some of the best powder skiing in the state, a multitude of hiking trails, cross-country skiing trails, snowmobiling, and premier hunting area in southwest Colorado.
Working closely with area emergency responders, including Upper San Juan Search and Rescue, PSMC offers EMS services unmatched by other rural health providers and is dedicated to service excellence and best practices. Our EMS provides long-distance transports to area hospitals in Colorado and New Mexico, as well as the front range, when needed. We specialize in extended patient care and enhance the patient care continuum—from the initial 911 call to EMS care to transport to emergency department and hospital care—by providing seamless communication and clinical integration.
Our EMS department provides education, training, quality improvement processes, and support to community partners. We specialize in innovative, progressive medical direction and continuous process improvement, providing critical care level service with industry-leading protocols. Approved by the State of Colorado as an EMS training center, PSMC provides advanced paramedic training. Our paramedics are certified as Critical Care Paramedics, and EMS staff is active in public education and region-wide professional quality improvement processes, including mass-casualty disasters, medical direction, and professional training. Our leaders are part of the state’s EMS and Trauma Systems Improvement Committee and travel across the state to assess and advise EMS systems in other communities.
- Achieved Level IV Trauma Center designation (April 2014), leading to a substantial Emergency Department volume increase—more than 36%—between 2013 and 2014
- Awarded 2014 EMS Ambulance Service of the Year by the Emergency Medical Services Association of Colorado (November 2014), honoring an ambulance service which has become a leader in patient care, medical control, quality assurance, public education, public access and training and education
- 2017 EMT of the Year awarded to PSMC EMT Nicole Lagioia by the Emergency Medical Services Association of Colorado (EMSAC) for her work in the community providing CPR and Stop the Bleed courses, and for her outstanding actions and contributions to the advancement of excellence in the delivery of emergency care to the citizens of Colorado
Our Leadership Team
- Chief: Jason Webb
- Deputy Chief: Connie Cook
- Medical Director: Dr. Daniel Renner
- Captains: Jeff Zaffino and Thad McKain
EMS Training Center
PSMC is a state-recognized training center with a multitude of trained instructors offering:
- Public CPR /First aid/Stop the Bleed
- EMT IV course
Interested in participating in an EMS training? To apply or for more information, please call 970-731-5811 or contact Andrew Spangler at email@example.com.